Backorders will take up to 4 months to complete.
WHAT KIND OF MASK IS THIS?
The Rearguard v2 is the next gen fencing masks designed specifically for HEMA fencers – no matter your choice of swords.
We’ve designed the mask keeping three key points in mind: safety, comfort and affordability. After numerous iterations, we are finally satisfied with the final product.
WHY DO WE NEED A HEMA SPECIFIC MASK?
Head injuries are quite critical to the body, not only can you get injured with open wounds but what you probably don’t see is a series of concussions that happen every time you get hit in the head. Not just the heavy hits, but also lighter hits over a long period of time can cause brain trauma. The current standard modern Olympic fencing masks we use were not meant for historical fencing.
We took a good, long look at what was missing with the standard modern Olympic fencing masks and saw various problems:
- The masks weren’t designed for strikes with the amount of force we generate in HEMA, especially padding-wise
- The back of the head was uncovered and while back-of-head covers work, they aren’t quite where we want them to be
- The angles of strikes in HEMA can be very different from standard fencing attacks
- Difficult to modify
- Strong stabs turn your mask into a waffle maker
This was not acceptable to us. We, just like you, want our heads as safe as possible. The current fencing masks do not satisfy this requirement.
We’ve tackled the problem from various angles and came up with Rearguard v2. The current features are:
- An elongated back of the mask, protecting the back side of the head
- A slightly elongated front mesh to reduce the possibility of a “bloody waffle” – the imprint of mesh on skin
- A mesh backplate to protect the parietal bone
- A back-of-head protector to cover the occipital bone
- Inner reinforcement bar to help prevent mesh hitting the face
- Extra rubber ring on the forehead and back of the mask to help with force absorption
- Grommeted holes for easier modification
- CEN2/FIE certified (1600N bib, 1000N mesh)
WHAT ABOUT PADDING?
The padding in standard fencing masks has always been a major failing, in our opinion. Since the very inception, we knew that this was something that could help a great deal – especially as some fencers even opted to use scrum caps with their masks to cushion the blows more. With Rearguard v2, we went a few steps further. We wanted to create a scrum cap that fits perfectly with the mask, is breathable and has extra protection on the danger zones.
This is why we’ve used Artificial cartilage foam (ACF), an extremely effective shock absorbing material to cover the fore head, sides and top of the head.
We’ve included microfibers on the chin to eliminate those rashes on the chin. This is for all of us that like to shave!
We made the padding from 3D mesh material that is antibacterial and breathable.
We want you to meet our solution; Paddy the fencing mask padding!
Having your mask fit correctly is one of the most important things when wearing it. Keep in mind that the mask is slightly moldable – if it is tight on your chin and jaw, put it between your thighs or sit on it right where the full circumference rubber ring is, and exert pressure. This will elongate the mask a bit, allowing for a more comfortable fit. Some fencers also like to use an extra scrum cap underneath the mask for extra protection. If that’s the case, please keep it in mind when choosing your size. The size is measured be taking a measuring tape and going around your head in the following manner: under the chin – ear – top of head – ear – chin. Here are the sizing in cm: